"The Waste Land"

T.S. Eliot's The Wasteland is for many one of the most important poem of the last century, after read it I realized that was a eclectic mixture of greek and Egyptian mythology connected with references of ancient history and also to the basic element of the nature... in Latin, Greek, English and Italian.

First I was confused, didn't know where to start reading the poem and where to analysing it.

Twit twit twit
Jug jug jug jug jug jug
So rudely forc'd.
Tereu

What does it mean?!?!?!

I started to think that he just wrote randomly all the words of the text, and then we all interpreted as "art", but then I re-read it 8and thanks to the analysis in the classroom) I could connect some ideas, for example

  1. The Burial of the Dead
  2. A Game of Chess
  3. The Fire Sermon
  4. Death by Water
  5. What the Thunder Said

In the titles of the chapters of the poem there are some elements that are direct references for some concepts, for example the "death by water" is a juxtaposition between the ideas of life and dead, also the hyperbole presented in "the burial of death" because the dead cannot has a burial.

T.S. Eliot presents The Wasteland as an invitation to a rich and enchanted place (another juxtaposition rich place/wasteland), a place that I can know just studding it symbols and elements, I need to reflect and I need to search in order to understand and enjoy such a great piece of art as is it The Wasteland.


No hay comentarios: